The end of 2017 came a little too fast for me – I haven’t even finished photographing and posting all of my 2017 makes! But here we are again and it’s time for Gillian’s Top 5 of 2017!
Top 5 Hits
I wear the heck out of these and they’re still going strong!
Although I haven’t worn them together after this photo, I really do love these pieces!
Although a little snug, this was my first successful bathing suit. And who doesn’t love some TLM?
(Because there were way too many things I loooooved this year that couldn’t fit into the Top 5!)
I can’t get enough of wearing these around the house! But now it’s getting chilly and they’ll have to be put away until spring. 😦
IT’S SOOOO WARM!
I didn’t think this would get a whole lot of wear after I made it but I was wrong! It’s one of the most comfortable dresses I own and it’s work appropriate so… SCORE!
The best dress for eating til you pop and still looking stylish!
And the millions of Lark Tees!
Top 5 Misses
Sorry, DD! One day I’ll make a shirt you’ll love…
I never reach for it in my closet – I either have nowhere fancy to go or the wonky hem just deters me. 😦
I got the sizing wrong and the fabric is way too thick to make this work. The fabric worked better in my bathing suit pattern. Those leggings are still the $#!t, though!
The fluffy white one is fine but I think I only wore it once. The Nicole Miller fabric one never gets worn because it just doesn’t lay right.
5 4 Non-Sewing Highlights
- Although it wasn’t for a good reason, I am so, so happy I was able to spend 2 uninterrupted weeks with my Grandma this summer. After all she’s done for me in my life, I am so happy I was able to give back just a little.
- VIVA LAS VEGAS! I went to Las Vegas three times this year… crazy! They were all short trips but I got to spend time with my Dad, Mom, and best friend – not all at the same time. I’ll throw seeing the Backstreet Boys in here, too since that was the reason for my second trip. BSB FOREVER!
- Overall work was pretty awful this year BUT I had such a good team that it made things more bearable. Everyone worked so well together and our personalities just meshed. I’m sad to see most of them move onto different teams in 2018 but I look forward to working with some new peeps. Keep it weird, Team 1!
- DD has been upping his home brew game and we’ve had some pretty awesome beer this year. I’m working on learning more about the process so I can help with thinking of new recipes. Cheers!
Top 5 Reflections
- I made 3 iterations of the Ginger Jeans this year and I think I finally have the fit perfect. I bought way more Cone Mills denim on Black Friday so there are definitely more jeans in my future!
- My Fail February makes were made last year, so this year I truly had only 5 misses. Everything else gets a lot of wear and really suits my style. I wear me-made clothes pretty much every day now and I’m stoked that I’m finally honing in on my personal style.
- I was able to deplete my stash fabric well enough that I don’t feel as guilty when I acquire new fabric AND my storage space looks tidy compared to what it was before. I think I’m also getting better at not buying more fabric than I need and only buying what really suits my style.
- One of my goals for this year was to get into hand embroidery. I think I did pretty well considering I incorporated embroidery into my Ginger Jean shorts and a Scout Tee. I also made numerous hoops. I will definitely continue this new hobby as it has really helped me get a hold of my stress after work. Sometimes I’m just too tired to sew and all I want to do is veg on the couch. Well now I can veg on the couch and still be productive!
- So far I have 43 blogged pieces of clothing, 3 not blogged yet, and 4 refashioned pieces. That’s a little more than last year! My closet is getting full so I’m working on replacing some of my RTW stuff. Eventually I’ll slow down sewing for myself since a girl only needs so many clothes… but don’t quote me on that. 😉
5 4 Goals
- Make DD more clothes. I FINALLY made him an almost successful piece of clothing (to be blogged in 2018) and with a few tweaks to perfect it, I hope I can make many more.
- Sew more jeans and work pants for myself. I have some patterns I’m excited to try out and a good amount of denim and bottom-weight fabric just screaming to be turned into something!
- Minimize my life. DD and I are trying to clean out all of the clutter and are trying not to buy too many things. I’ve cleaned out a good bit of my closet and some old JET Program paperwork I was holding onto for 10 years to make a scrapbook that never happened. I found having more stuff = more stress, so here’s to tidying up!
- I feel like I should put “sew those damn Sewaholic Thurlow Trousers” here just for tradition’s sake. Maybe 2018 will be the year?
2018 is already gearing up to be a crazy year. DD and I are going back to Japan for most of January to visit and to check out new cities. I guess it’s a good thing I have some unblogged clothes to share in the meantime since my sewing will slow down until February… just in time for Fail February, hah!
So long 2017, here’s to a crazy and hopefully productive 2018!