Hi there! I’m back with my second failed project for Fail February 2017. This fail is simply a sizing problem- I love the style, colors, and pattern, but I messed up with that darn sizing!
It’s the Seamwork Aurora Tank and I’ve made one before which was a complete win! I wear my first Aurora all the time and it’s so comfortable and the fit is good. Since it worked out so well, I did the exact same measurements for my second rendition but it came out way too tight in the bust!
I know it looks OK in the photo above, but those gathers poke out all weird and it’s uncomfortably tight. Even my lovely assistant can’t escape from the poor fit:
Ugh, those BUBBLES!
And it doesn’t look quite right from the back, either…
See how that pleat is holding on for dear life? Yikes!
So how did this one turn out so differently than my first? It’s all chalked up to fabric! My first Aurora was made with a very stretchy ITY knit. So even though the size (XS from bust grading to M at waist) is a little off for me, the stretch of the fabric made up for it.
This Aurora is made with a vegan stretch leather for the yoke, which has less stretch than ITY, so it really hugs my shoulders and back tightly. The knit I used for the bottom (mystery fabric – some kind of poly/spandex blend, maybe?) is trying to keep it together but just gets stretched out like crazy.
The good news is I can remedy this fail. I just need to rip out the side seams and insert panels to give me more width. I think that will solve everything. Now it’s just a matter of when I feel like doing it!!
I find it interesting that my two fails for this year are both Seamwork patterns. But I don’t think it has anything to do with the drafting (except those Mojis aren’t made for big badunkadunks). They’re mostly a fail on my part because I suck at sizing!
Next time I’ll be back with your fails for this month! Don’t forget to tag your fails with #failfebruary on Instagram or link to my Fail February post if you blog about your fails!
Fail on, friends!